A Letter to My Congressman:
While it appears that a financial bailout is imperative, I ask that you demand some answers before approving it:
1. Where did all the money GO and how do we make those who took it RETURN IT??
Sallie Mae, Freddy Mac, WaMu, etc. were not failing to be profitable for all these years -- it appears their profits were being siphoned (stolen) and misappropriated. Who took the money, how do we get it back so taxpayers don't have to foot the entire bail-out cost?
2. Will those responsible for the financial mess be held accountable? We expect to see a list of indictments against politicians, investors, and business leaders who truly caused this mess. You could start by making public the list of names who are responsible, and the list of names of those who wrongfully received money from these failed institutions.
I believe Barack Obama and Barney Frank will be on those lists - if so, let the chips fall where they may. We want all the evidence and all the facts to see the light of day in an open and unblinking inquiry. How come so many politicians, who are not supposed to accept gifts or bribes, suddenly end up being millionaires when their government salaries don't support it. They got their money from SOMEWHERE illegal!
3. If these are such tough financial times, why does the bailout package have so much EXTRA spending in it? Cut out the pork! If a financial bailout is necessary, let's not spend any more than is necessary. This shouldn't be a free-for-all where everybody gets a free lollipop.
4. Where did we come up with 700 billion dollars all at once? This tells me that we have been WAY OVERTAXED. Cut the taxing, cut the stupidity with money, cut the assault and the punishment on the productive citizens.
5. Wouldn't eliminating all the illegal aliens and closing our borders reclaim most, if not all, of the cost of this financial bailout? We are losing millions of dollars supporting people who are law-breakers, who do not have any right to be here, and who siphon money straight out of our economy. Correct this mess and we wouldn't mind so much having to fund this bail-out by our own sweat and labor.
Do the right thing!